Sunday, August 26, 2012

What have we learned now that it's over?

Week 10: Final post

In my previous post I had discussed how we have met all of the course objectives. After my final post I have realized just how much I have learned from this course. Before this class I did not have any knowledge how all of the tools that we learned about. Voki, Animoto, Google Docs, making a WebQuest among so other many tools are going to be extremely helpful to my as a future educator. I have always known that it is a positive aspect to include technology into the classroom but I never knew just how to go about doing that. With these tools that I have learned about I will be able to create a fun, exciting and educational experience in my classroom no matter what grade I teach.

We discussed a lot about digital citizenship as well. Before the class I had heard this term before and I was only slightly aware of the full depth of this topic. The most important fact to take from the class discussions I believe is that as educators it is part of our role to teach our students how to use the internet and other technological devices in a smart and safe way. There are a lot of issues in the schools today that revolve around technology. It is our job to see the problem and to find a solution to help the students see it as a problem as well.

The first reason as to way I believe it is important for educator to incorporate technology into their lesson plans is what I stated about about digital citizenship. By using these devices in the classroom students will be able to learn just what they can use technology for. A second reason why teachers should be using technology is because everyone has a different learning style. Not everyone can sit and listen to a lecture, and not everyone is extremely good at researching. It is our job to understand our students and learn what their strengths and weaknesses are and use that in our lesson plans. By using different web tools students are able to have a chance to excel in what they are good at and to work on their skills that might need some improvement. We need to create an environment where the students feel comfortable, confident and willing to learn and try.

Even though integrating technology is extremely important, there may be some barriers we will face. If a teacher is going to assign an assignment that involves the computer for example, they need to make sure the students have a chance to use computers in school. Not every household has a computer and this would be putting some students at a disadvantage with the assignment. If the school does not have a portable computer cart available than the teacher needs to sign up for either the library computers or a computer lab. Another barrier that we may face is the students taking advantage of using a computer and not working on the assignment when they are supposed to. This is where the teacher has to discuss digital citizenship, make sure the students know what they are supposed to be doing and that the assignment is interesting and will hold their attention.

A great way to introduce technology in the classroom is having the ability to disguise learning as not learning. What I mean is that I have found when students don't think they are learning and that they are playing a game or are creating some fun and exciting, they are meeting learning objectives but they aren't fully aware of this. Some examples of this would be using web2.0 tools such as Animoto, Voki, Blogger, Diigo, Avatar creations, Scratch among many many more.

I have learned a lot of valuable and important information throughout this course. I will be able to take the knowledge that I gained and apply it to my future as an educator.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know about any of this cool stuff either but now that I do I feel like I can make learning fun and more interactive.

    I agree with this barrier you discussed: "Another barrier that we may face is the students taking advantage of using a computer and not working on the assignment when they are supposed to". I remember doing that all the time as a teenager because I didn't have a computer at home. I forgot about that until you mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete